Friday, February 17, 2012

Lenten Bible Study Series: Philippians

"Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus,
Who, though he was in the form of God,
did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.
Rather, he emptied himself,
taking the form of a slave,
coming in human likeness;
and found human in appearance,
he humbled himself,
becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross.
Because of this, God greatly exalted him
and bestowed on him the name
that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus
every knee should bend,
of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that
Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father
"
-Philippians 2:5-11 (NABRE)


I think it is about time to have another Bible Study Series. Lent is, as always, a wonderful time to take up a book of the Bible, or any spiritual work really, and spend some serious time studying and praying over it. Since Philippians is only four chapters long, it should prove to be quite manageable. There are many wonderful themes in the letter, most notably the majestic Christ-hymn of Philippians 2:5-11, which is certainly applicable to Lent and Easter. As last time, I hope this study will provide both some historical, theological, and spiritual insights, not only by what I write, but also from your comments. So, let me know, via a comment box RSVP, if you are interested in participating in this. I will lay out a general plan-of-action early next week.

Some resources I will be consulting:
Ignatius Catholic Study Bible (RSV-2CE)
Catholic Bible, Personal Study Edition (NABRE)
Navarre New Testament (RSV)
New Oxford Annotated Bible 4th Edition (NRSV)
Catholic Bible Dictionary
Four Times Peter: Portrayals of Peter in the Four Gospels And at Philippi
by Richard J. Cassidy

5 comments:

owenswain said...

I will watch with interest. I am responsible to lead two missions this Lent and have some personal tasks in place this Lent so I won't participate though your does sound very appealing.

Timothy said...

Owen,

I should point out that what I mean by participation I simply being willing to comment and engage in the discussion after each post.

cdaters said...

I am certainly interested. I am one of those Catholics who have been away from the Church for some time (about a decade). Over a year of tragic events (with no end in sight right now) have prompted me to seek renewal of my relationship with God. At the same time I am seeing that changes are occuring within the Church that have me intrigued too. So what better way to begin than to immerse myself in His word with a new and more accurate NABRE. :)

owenswain said...

@cdates prayers for you.

Francesco said...

Hi Tim,

Sign me up!