Tuesday, January 25, 2011

NRSV Thinline Available Next Week


Next week, February 1st to be precise, will be the release date for the HarperCollins NRSV- Go-Anywhere Thinline Bible Catholic Edition. It will be published in bonded leather, paperback, and hardcover XL editions. If you would like to see a sample, follow this link. From what I can tell, this edition looks similar to the full Apocrypha version that was released back in October. The only major difference being the inclusion of the Deuterocanonical books in their proper order. If you would like to see my review of the earlier edition, you can follow this link. I am not sure, at this point, whether or not I will be picking up a copy, but since I have been asking for a true Catholic thinline for the longest time, perhaps I am obliged to do so.

This NRSV edition includes:
Less than 1 inch thick
Easy-to-read 9-point type in a double-column setting
Bonded leather with craft-sewn binding for added strength and long life
Fine Bible paper to maximize readability and portability
Concordance for finding key verses
Gilded edges and a ribbon marker
Presentation page and maps

7 comments:

Mark D. said...

Not a fan of the NRSV - I think I'll wait for a compact edition of the NABRE to be released.

Christopher W. Speaks said...

You know, considering the dearth of quality Catholic Bibles, I was initially really excited about the release of this one - but I gotta tell ya, I'm like Mark above, the recent announcements concerning the NABRE have me ready to save my money.

Timothy said...

Yeah, I am really focused more on the NABRE these days. However, the UK release of the NRSV with Grail Psalms in genuine leather is very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know which Catholic conferences use or are preparing to use the NRSV as the basis of the lectionary?

Timothy said...

The Canadian Conference has an adapted version of the NRSV that is already in use and approved by Rome. The UK is planning an adapted form of the NRSV to replace the Jerusalem Bible in the near future.

Anonymous said...

Two questions:

1. Where is Australia with the NRSV?

2. Where can I find examples of the adaptations necessary for Rome to approve the NRSV?

Brad

Timothy said...

Brad,

I don't have answers to those questions unfortunately. I checked the Canadian Conference of Bishops site I could not find any indication of the NRSV adaptions there either. Of course, if you were so inclined and had some extra money sitting around, you could simply buy the revised Lectionary for Canada:
http://www.cccbpublications.ca/site/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=200&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=75&lang=eng