Friday, October 23, 2015

Questions from a Reader

I got a copy of the '91 NOAB NRSV on ebay. It's the 'special Cokesbury edition' with thumb indexes. It's great! Almost new quality, no markings. The only thing is, and I knew this when I bought it, it has the original owner's name deeply embossed on the front cover. 

So here's a question for you or your readers: what's the best way to remove or cover up an embossing on a bible cover? I'm thinking of getting a stick on engraved name plate to put over it.

Second question: Putting my name on a bible seems a bit presumptious to me. Got any ideas for a short name or scripture snippet to use instead? (Ie 'Holy Bible' but that's a little boring.)

Thanks!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...Lord to whom shall we go? You have the words to eternal life." John 6 : 68

Unknown said...

I'm not sure how you would remove the name. But I agree with Jason, that John 6:68 is a great verse to use!

Daniel said...

Other suggestions:
1. Word of God
2. The Word of the Lord
3. "In the beginning was the Word" John 1:1
4. "I am the way, the truth, and the life." John 14:6



CWBuckley said...

Why do you call me, "Lord, Lord," but not do what I command? - Lk 6:46

Mark in Spokane said...

I've tried that approach and it doesn't work over time. I think your new Bible is a candidate for a Leonard's rebinding.

aroosanne said...

Suggestion: Leave the name on the cover, and when you see the name on the cover, pray for that person.

Anonymous said...

I suggest a better one, from Samuel:

"Speak, O Lord, for thy servant hears!"
- 1 Samuel 3:10

In the past, I had used this verse before I do my daily reading with the Scriptures. Only now that I replaced this with the prayer invoking the Holy Spirit.

Anonymous said...

I suggest a better one, from Samuel:

"Speak, O Lord, for thy servant hears!"
- 1 Samuel 3:10

In the past, I use this verse before I do my daily reading with the Scriptures. Only now that I replaced this with the prayer invoking the Holy Spirit.

Steve Molitor said...

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I'm going to think and pray on it...

Steve