Sunday, October 25, 2015

Knox vs. The Message: Jeremiah 31:7-9

30th Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B)

Knox:
Rejoice, the Lord says, at Jacob’s triumph, the proudest of nations greet with a glad cry; loud echo your songs of praise, Deliverance, Lord, for thy people, for the remnant of Israel! From the north country, from the very ends of earth, I mean to gather them and bring them home; blind men and lame, pregnant women and women brought to bed, so great the muster at their home-coming. Weeping they shall come, and I, moved to pity, will bring them to their journey’s end; from mountain stream to mountain stream I will lead them, by a straight road where there is no stumbling; I, Israel, thy father again, and thou, Ephraim, my first-born son.


The Message:
Oh yes, God says so:
“Shout for joy at the top of your lungs for Jacob!
Announce the good news to the number-one nation!
Raise cheers! Sing praises. Say,
God has saved his people,
saved the core of Israel.’
“Watch what comes next:
“I’ll bring my people back
from the north country
And gather them up from the ends of the earth,
gather those who’ve gone blind
And those who are lame and limping,
gather pregnant women,
Even the mothers whose birth pangs have started,
bring them all back, a huge crowd!
“Watch them come! They’ll come weeping for joy
as I take their hands and lead them,
Lead them to fresh flowing brooks,
lead them along smooth, uncluttered paths.
Yes, it’s because I’m Israel’s Father
and Ephraim’s my firstborn son!"

4 comments:

rolf said...

The thought that stuck in my mind after reading that first verse of The Message is, "We're number one, we're number one!" I think this can be a problem with using common popular culture type language with ancient texts. I don't mean that a paraphrase or dynamic translation shouldn't use clear English (that is understandable to most) that is their purpose, but the using of trendy words or phrases to make it sound cool can do the opposite.

Again, I think the Living Bible (Catholic Edition) does a much better job paraphrasing this reading:
'For the Lord says, Sing with joy for all that I will do for Israel, the greatest of the nations! Shout out with praise and joy: "The Lord has saved his people, the remnant of Israel." For I will bring them from the north and from earth's farthest ends, not forgetting their blind and lame, young mothers with their little ones, those ready to give birth. It will be a great company who comes. Tears of joy shall stream down their faces, and I will lead them home with great care. They shall walk beside the quiet streams and not stumble. For I am a Father to Israel, and Ephraim is my oldest child.

CWBuckley said...

Rolf, you beat me to it. ;-)

I'll include the GNT instead:

The Lord says, “Sing with joy for Israel, the greatest of the nations. Sing your song of praise, ‘The Lord has saved his people; he has rescued all who are left.’ I will bring them from the north and gather them from the ends of the earth. The blind and the lame will come with them, pregnant women and those about to give birth. They will come back a great nation. My people will return weeping, praying as I lead them back. I will guide them to streams of water, on a smooth road where they will not stumble. I am like a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my eldest son.”
Jeremiah 31:7-9 GNBDK
http://bible.com/431/jer.31.7-9.GNBDK

Anonymous said...

I'll post my bet here.

From the 1966 Jerusalem Bible:
(I've replaced Yahweh with LORD here.)

For the LORD says this: Shout with joy for Jacob! Hail the chief of nations! Proclaim! Praise! Shout:
'The LORD has saved his people, the remnant of Israel!'See, I will bring them back from the land of the North and gather them from the far ends of earth; all of them: the blind and the lame, women with child, women in labour: a great company returning here.
They had left in tears, I will comfort them as I lead them back; I will guide them to streams of water, by a smooth path where they will not stumble. For I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my first-born son.

Anonymous said...

I'll post my bet here.

From the 1966 Jerusalem Bible:
(I've replaced Yahweh with LORD here.)

For the LORD says this: Shout with joy for Jacob! Hail the chief of nations! Proclaim! Praise! Shout:
'The LORD has saved his people, the remnant of Israel!'See, I will bring them back from the land of the North and gather them from the far ends of earth; all of them: the blind and the lame, women with child, women in labour: a great company returning here.
They had left in tears, I will comfort them as I lead them back; I will guide them to streams of water, by a smooth path where they will not stumble. For I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my first-born son.