Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Didache Rebound

You knew it was going to happen soon, right?  Well, veteran of the comment box and reader of this blog, Rolf, had his Didache Bible (RSV-2CE) rebound by Leonard's.  I know there are more of you out there who are contemplating doing the exact same thing.  I hope this helps your discernment!

Thanks Rolf for sharing a few words and these great pictures with us:

This is my second Bible rebind from Leonard's. As many of you know, last July I had my Oxford NABRE large print Bible rebound (see review) and has been my main Bible for most of last year. 
In January the Didache Bible (RSV-2CE) was published and I really like that Bible and use it as much (maybe more). So since it has been a year since I rebound the NABRE, I thought I would rebind the Didache Bible as well. I chose a forest colored pebble grain cowhide and added one forest green ribbon marker to the two existing markers. The genuine cowhide is not only soft but very flexible! The Bible lays flat in all positions. It is one of the leathers that Leonard's recommends for larger size B
ibles. 

These are the two Bibles that I use everyday so I feel that the extra expense is worth it! I don't spend money on much else.  Unfortunately Catholic book publishers have not figured out that we also would like to have a nice Bible! At least offer genuine leather, but few even offer that? So some of us have to take a different route, and Leonard's is a good choice! 










15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like it came out really nice. All this recent talk of Leonard's has finally gotten me to break down and send in my RSV-2CE bonded leather edition to get rebound. And it's funny because the leather that Rolf used is exactly the type I was thinking of having it redone in lol.

Raymond

Timothy said...

Raymond,
I am sure you will love your newly rebound RSV-2CE when you get it. If you have a bible you use all the time, making sure it will last is a very good thing. Would love to see some pictures when you get the finished project.

Anonymous said...

Tim,

Absolutely. When it comes back I will definitely send you some pictures.

Raymond

Tom said...

Handsome Bible! Always like seeing these "Bible makeovers". In the first picture the cover looks black, while in the last one brown. Lighting I guess.

Anonymous said...


Turned out beautifully!

Out of curiosity, do you or any of the others who have leather bibles treat them in any way?
And if so, what with?

Pax,
John

Jason Engel said...

Generally speaking, daily use is honestly the only treatment a leather Bible needs. The oils naturally found in your skin will take care of the leather if it is used frequently. Occasionally, I will obtain an old leather Bible that clearly has not been used in decades and the leather is very dry. I know that there are plenty of specific ointments that are specifically sold as leather treatments, but the best I have found is simple grape-seed oil. A little on your hands, then gently massage the oil into the leather. With care and attention to detail, I've restored maybe a half dozen older Bibles to supple flexibility in under thirty minutes.

rolf said...

I agree with Jason, daily use of the Bible is the best way to keep the leather supple. That is what Leonard's suggests also. I pick up the Bible every morning and evening and I rub my hands on the front, back covers and the spine. Both of my Leonard's rebound Bibles I use everyday so this is not a problem for me.

Unknown said...

Tom - must be a Didache Bible thing. The stock leather is supposedly green, but the one I saw at my local Catholic bookstore looked almost black, until I held it next to a black covered Bible. It's all in the lighting and what else is around.

Looks awesome on the rebind. Did they have to do any sewing on it, or just a stock rebind?

rolf said...

Eric, it was a stock rebind. The only other thing that I had done was to add the one extra ribbon marker.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason & Rolf, et al.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't have a leather Bible but the cover of my iPad - which holds half of my Bibles and a host of other things - is leather. So I'll try rubbing my hands over it or perhaps some grape seed oil if needed.

When the day comes, I do think the Didache is the perfect candidate for rebind, not only because of it's contents but also because of it's cover. Which in my opinion isn't very attractive. Plus, I doubt MTS is ever going to release an electronic version.

Pax,
John

Daniel said...

That is a gorgeous rebind. The wisdom contained within the Didache Bible (Biblical text and commentary) is absolutely staggering. It deserves the beautiful cover you got.

Neil Short said...

Please share your results! I have one of those and it really needs sprucbng up.

rolf said...

One thing that I have noticed over the last year since I have had my three main Bibles rebound at Leonard's is that I am no longer searching e-bay continually for that next 'better Bible! That maybe because I am broke ( just kidding). Over the last 11 years (since discovering Christianity through the Catholic Church) I have been on an endless search for that perfect Bible, which many of you know never ends. I have bought 'dozens' of Bibles both used and new and while I have enjoyed the search, it can also be expensive. Though the one reward is that I have given away a lot of Bibles! Now that I have rebound these three Bibles (though expensive) that looking and searching has stopped, and so has that monthly expenditure of endless Bibles purchases!

Timothy said...

I declare ye healed! (I'm close as well, but for different reasons.). 😀

rolf said...

Thank you Dr. Timothy! I couldn't have done it without your help!