Friday, July 10, 2015

Weekly Knox: Mystics

Msgr. Ronald Knox is one of those authors/guides that I continue to come back to time and time again.  (The other author I would include in this, at least for me, is Thomas Merton.)  This isn't just the case because he is the unofficial patron of this blog as well as the one who created one of my favorite translations of the Bible.  No, it is because if you look at the immensity of his published work, it seems to cover almost every facet of a life of faith.  Almost sixty years after his death, you can still purchase books authored by him on subjects like apologetics, theology, biblical commentaries, the spiritual life, translations of the Bible (as well as others), and even detective novels.  I find this man extraordinary and do wish he received a bit more attention that he does.  (Although I am not sure he would care all that much!) 

So, I am hoping to give Ronnie a more regular presence on this blog from now on.  I have, of course, done this in the past with such series as "Sunday Knox" and "Knox on Translation" as well as others.  Therefore, I will begin a series today called "Weekly Knox" which will hopefully provide an insightful quote from Knox concerning a whole range of issues.  I make these selections from a variety of his works that I own, as well as referencing from the out-of-print gem The Quotable Knox by Ignatius Press.  I may even reference a passage from his translation of the Bible from time to time.  I hope you find this series enlightening.  My hope is that it plays an ever small part in continuing to introduce people to this amazing man.

"Christian mysticism claims its superiority over Oriental mysticism precisely because its ultimate goal is that of complete harmony between two different persons, not the absorption of one personality into another.  The goal of ordinary human love (in spite of the poets' language) is not identity, but correspondence.  And it is in complete correspondence between his heart and the Heart of Jesus that the Christian looks forward to that full fruition of love, which is his hope for eternity." - Some Loose Stones

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim,
If you had to recommend one book to get someone started with Knox's writings, what would it be?
Dave

Unknown said...

Tim,
If you had to recommend one book to get someone started with Knox's writings, what would it be?
Dave

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Tim.

Sunday Message is just a bit irritatin' at times, especially for a liturgical Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Tim.

Sunday Message is just a bit irritatin' at times, especially for a liturgical Sunday.

Timothy said...

Dave,

Great question. I guess I would go with what type of writing one might like to start with. For apologetics, I'd go with "In Soft Garments". For something more spiritual, I'd go with "A Layman and His Conscience". There is the Bible too! If one likes fiction, perhaps one of his detective novels would do.

Timothy said...

Let me also recommend the Ronald Knox society of North America page, which also has PDFs of sermons and other things:
http://www.ronaldknoxsociety.com

Unknown said...

I found a beat up copy of Pastoral Sermons at my local Goodwill and have enjoyed it.