Thursday, December 3, 2009

O Saint Benedict Press RSV-CE, Where Art Thou?


If you are wondering why I haven't blogged a review of the recently released Saint Benedict Press RSV-CE, in black genuine leather, well the reason is I have yet to receive it in the mail. I placed the order back on Friday November 13 with Saint Benedict Press, who said it would ship in 1-2 business days, but still nothing has arrived. As a matter of fact, I even paid extra for 2 day air shipping, in order to expedite the delivery. After multiple emails to customer service which were never answered, I was finally able to get someone from customer service on the phone on three separate occasions to find out the status of my order. And to be honest, I am still not sure what is going on. I have been told that the new RSV's are in stock, but are "in the process" of being shipped. How long does that take?
Oh well, I will try and let you all know what this new RSV-CE is like, once I actually can hold it in my increasingly frustrated hands.

9 comments:

Rolando said...

I ordered a few weeks ago as well and just received it yesterday. I think its the best RSVCE - much better layout and type setting than the Ignatius and (unlike the Oxfords) it has nice bolded subheadings to break up the text.

However, unlike the RSV2CE, it doesn't have any cross references.

Timothy said...

Rolando,

Thanks for the update. Everything you said was sounding awesome until the lack of cross-references! That stinks! I can't quite understand why they didn't include them, since they have always been included in the earlier Ignatius RSV's, which were based on an even earlier edition. Very strange!

Did you get the genuine leather edition?

Rolando said...

I ordered both the genuine leather and the burgundy ultrasoft.

The genuine leather is horribly stiff - you have to pry it open with a crow bar.

The ultrasoft is very nice - and opens easily. It looks and feels very much like the fireside NAB I think you've reviewed here before.

I agree on the cross references. If they had been included, it would've totally replaced the RSV2CE (if you agree the only worthwhile change in the 2CE is the layout).

Rolando said...

It also has the calendar of sunday and weekday readings (an extra every Catholic bible should have but inexplicably most don't).

The explanatory notes are gathered in the back, like the Oxfords.

The only other extras are a few nice paintings and a couple maps in the back.

Timothy said...

Rolando,

All I can say is "so close, yet so far!" I just might have to get my Ignatius RSV-2ce rebound in genuine leather. I really didn't want to pay that extra money to do that, but there just may not be any other options at this point.

Matt said...

Great, I just ordered one. I plan on doing a review like I did for the Douay-Rheims on my site. I still haven't received any answers from the publicist to my email so there is definitely something going on.

Rolando - glad to hear they are pretty nice. Unfortunate about the cross references. Perhaps they figured Catholics don't use them much? :-)

Timothy said...

Matt,

Well, as you know, the douay-Rheims edition comes with cross-references as does their NAB edition. So it will probably remain a mystery why their rsv is lacking them.

Matt said...

I just received 2 review copies from St. Benedict. Look for a review on my site in a day or so.

The Ultrasoft material is really nice.

Timothy said...

Matt,

I will certainly check it out. I just hope I get my edition today or tomorrow, it's only been almost a month now.