Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Some Verses from the NCV

Luke 1:28: "The angel came to her and said, "Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you."

Luke 2:11: "For this day in the city of David there has been born to you a Savior who is Christ, the Lord."

Matthew 16:18: "And I say to you: You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church and the gates of the netherworld will not prevail against it."

Matthew 28:17: "When they saw him, they prostrated themselves before him, although some doubted."

John 1:18: "No one has ever seen God.  It is the only Son, God, who is at the Father's side who has made him known."

John 3:8: "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above."

John 8:24: "That is why I told you that you would die in your sins.  For if you do not believe that I AM, you will die in your sins."

Galatians 2:19-20: "I have been crucified with Christ. And now it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me.  The life I live now in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me."

Hebrews 1:3: "He is the reflection of God's glory and the perfect expression of his very being, sustaining all things by the power of his word."

Overall, having read a bit of it, the NCV has the feel of the NAB.  Of course, this may simply because it looks exactly like the NAB due to the same layout that Catholic Book Publishing used.  Many of the renderings that are familiar to NAB readers, like "Amen, Amen", "I AM", "netherworld", "expiation", "advocate", "the flesh", and "works."  So, in that sense, nothing that really stands out so far.  I think people who were looking for a few more traditional renderings of beloved passages, like Luke 1:28, will like the NCV.  Also, the NCV's use of inclusive language is generally the same as the NAB, which is moderately horizontal.

So, I don't know what else more to say at this point.  Perhaps some of you who have ordered copies would like to chime in here with thoughts on the translation.

7 comments:

Deacon Dave said...

Timothy, I agree with you and it takes intention to get beyond the "NAB" feel due to the identical publication layout...however, so far I do like the introductions and footnotes in the NCV much better than in the NAB/NABRE. In using the NCV and NABRE on Jn 6:41-51 to prepare for this coming Sunday's homily, I noticed a bit more and better footnotes in the NCV.

Biblical Catholic said...

What about Hebrews 1.1? That is a verse I often look at because it is a very difficult verse to render clearly. Hebrews 11.1 is another verse that is a good one to look at because it is very difficult to render well.

Timothy said...

1:1 "In previous times, God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways through the prophets,"

11:1 "Faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the conviction about things that cannot be seen."

Anonymous said...

How do y'all feel about the translation saying "netherworld" instead of Hades? I find this annoying for some reason even though I never had a problem with it in the NAB.

Anonymous said...

Timothy, will you please help me? I want to know what two verses from the Romans this NCV translation saying, Romans 8:16 and another Romans 8:26? Is it the Spirit itself or the Spirit himself? Please thank you James

Timothy said...

James,

"Himself" in both instances.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated