Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Jewish Study Bible: Second Edition

Thanks to reader Russ for pointing this out to me.  I found the first edition to be an amazing resource.  More info on the second edition here and below:

Edited by Adele Berlin and Marc Zvi Brettler

New to this Edition:
  • Over two dozen new and updated essays
  • Updated annotations for nearly the entire Bible
  • Informative essays that address a wide variety of topics relating to Judaism's use and interpretation of the Bible throughout the ages
  • Section and book introductions that deliver insights into the background, structure, and meaning of the text
  • Running commentary beside the biblical text that provides in-depth theological interpretation
  • Features the Jewish Publication Society TANAKH translation
  • Full-color Oxford Bible maps
  • Verse and chapter differences between the Hebrew text and many English translations
  • Table of Scriptural readings for synagogue use
  • Glossary of technical terms


3 comments:

Russ said...

The first one is terrific and I use it all the time. And I probably shouldn't, but I will probably get the Second Edition as well. I also see at the OUP web site it will be available as an ebook as well. I may get that.

Anonymous said...

You should review the Orthodox Study Bible. It's a great resource with good notes for the most part. There are a few anti-catholic notes but I ignore them. The new Ignatius Didache Bible looks like it might have a similar layout which is so exciting!

Neil Short said...

That might explain the discount prices on the 1st edition.