Friday, September 6, 2013

Sunday Knox: Wisdom 9:13-18

Knox Bible:
"What God’s purpose is, how should man discover, how should his mind master the secret of the divine will?  So hesitating our human thoughts, so hazardous our conjectures!  Ever the soul is weighed down by a mortal body, earth-bound cell that clogs the manifold activity of its thought.  Hard enough to read the riddle of our life here, with laborious search ascertaining what lies so close to hand; and would we trace out heaven’s mysteries too? Thy purposes none may know, unless thou dost grant thy gift of wisdom, sending out from high heaven thy own holy spirit.  Thus ever were men guided by the right way."


NAB:
"Who can know God’s counsel,
or who can conceive what the LORD intends?
For the deliberations of mortals are timid,
and unsure are our plans.
For the corruptible body burdens the soul
and the earthen shelter weighs down the mind that has many concerns.
And scarce do we guess the things on earth,
and what is within our grasp we find with difficulty;
but when things are in heaven, who can search them out?
Or who ever knew your counsel, except you had given wisdom
and sent your holy spirit from on high?
And thus were the paths of those on earth made straight."



NABRE:
“For who knows God’s counsel,
or who can conceive what the Lord intends? 
For the deliberations of mortals are timid, and uncertain our plans. 
For the corruptible body burdens the soul 
and the earthly tent weighs down the mind with its many concerns.  
Scarcely can we guess the things on earth, 
and only with difficulty grasp what is at hand; 
but things in heaven, who can search them out? 
Or who can know your counsel, unless you give Wisdom 
and send your holy spirit from on high?  
Thus were the paths of those on earth made straight.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim - I just wanted to say thanks for the Sunday Knox series of posts. I've had the opportunity to lector the readings that were compared and I think it's made a difference in how I inflect the readings when I do lector (I got to do the first reading today). I've started reading both readings in Knox when I'm on to lector, and it's not something I would have done otherwise. So again, thanks.

Timothy said...

Eric,

I enjoy these series of posts as well. I have found them to be extremely enlightening, allowing us to see the text with different eyes. I appreciate the NAB, but often find myself reflecting on the text a bit more due to Knox's unique renderings. From time to time, I do have to look up a word or two, which may not be so bad.