Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dominican Sisters on American Bible Challenge

Press Release:
The Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist are set to display their impressive biblical knowledge as contestants on Season 2 of the Game Show Network’s hit show “The American Bible Challenge,” which premieres at 9 p.m. ET Thursday, March 21. A trio of sisters from the Order — Sister Peter Joseph (novice), Sister Maria Suso (professed sister) and Sister Evangeline (novice) — will compete as the Team Sisters of Mary on the show. The Ann Arbor, Michigan-based nuns will use any winnings they receive to provide for the futures of the Sisters in the Order, and to ensure that they are provided for as they advance into retirement. Check out the sisters in the Season 2 preview here

The Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist are an amazing order, one which is bursting at the seems.  They are located not too far away from where I live, so I do see some of the sisters at local events.  A friend of mine actually entered the order a few years back.  I already have my daughter signed up for a discernment weekend with them in early 2026.  That's not true, actually, but they are wonderful and a true light of the New Evangelization.  If you haven't heard about them, certainly check out this program on Thursday!

9 comments:

Leonardo said...

Hi,

I want to comment of the idea of young people going into some "vocational" reunions.

I want to say that young persons have not the capacity do distinguish lies in the context of organizational enterprises, who tend to exaggerate their mission.

In this days, young persons are more critical, but they can be submerged easily into forded labor, free labor, thinking that working for those enterprises are working for the deity.

Timothy said...

Leonardo,

I'll be honest, I'm not sure where you going with that comment.

Leonardo said...

Hi,

I had a really bad experience, religious one, when entering a big, well established, religious group. Not only me, but my brothers and sisters. We all passed that period of our lives and did not talks again about it, never in our lives. We did not end any professional complete studies, although we all have the resources. I have a friend, who after belonging 10 years to the same organization, today is almost without work, alone, an many things.

In my case, my father over estimated that religious organization, and we tried to please him, I think. But not only my family, but many families.

I think God is is in all places, and there is a personal way to find Him.

Best regards.

I think that not only the Catholic Church, but many religious groups, have to learn how to have members without telling lies.

Religion is like poetry, but the young persons believe that the lies of the poet are really exist. What exist is poetry.

Biblical Catholic said...

Well that was an extremely uncharitable comment....

But...anyway...have a nice day

Leonardo said...

Hi,

I don´t understand English totally, so, if I said something that looks like a personal comment, that was not my intention, but to criticize something that is institutional.

Best regards.

ThisVivian said...

"Religion is like poetry", i.e. not true, mythology, lies, and "Religious groups need to stop lying to members", are what I took away as uncharitable (in this case, heretical, even when read with a hermeneutic of orthodoxy).

If those were improper phrasings, please correct us, so that I may rebuke a brother in charity. The message was:

1. No religion (including Christianity) is factual and historical. All religions are poetic, fanciful, and full of myth, which is to say that they are edifying lies.

2. The RCC lies to its members on a regular basis.

But, as you stated, the English wasn't perfect, so it is possible that you chose some words poorly, or cognate words, which have a different signification in English than in your native tongue.

Leonardo said...

Hi,

Sometimes I write without commons sense. And another times there are many things that I want to say that the actual writing of that thought lacks of an explanation, in order to understand, or to comprehend the sense.

But I am giving me much importance. Sorry if I use this Blog in not a civil way.

Best regards.

losabio said...

Anybody else catch the American Bible Challenge? I saw the episode with the Sisters Of Mary, Mother Of The Eucharist, and I was so proud of how our Sisters handled themselves. There was one physical challenge called "Stick A Fork In It" where the team was (incorrectly) given a point for flipping a fork into a glass -- it was actually a spoon!-- and I teared up a little bit out of pride when they informed the host that, no, it was in fact a spoon, and they should not get a point for it. It was an entertaining show, and I've actually set it up to record automatically now. Thanks Tim for the heads-up, and congrats to the Sisters for representing their order and our Church so graciously.

losabio said...

The Sisters of Mary advanced to the finals after winning their semifinals tonight! The questions were tougher than usual this round, and I'm looking forward to the finals in a couple months. Check the show out, y'all will probably enjoy it.