Monday, June 18, 2012

Mondays with the New Psalms: Psalm 131

Psalm 131



A song of ascents. Of David.

LORD, my heart is not proud;
nor are my eyes haughty.
I do not busy myself with great matters,
with things too sublime for me.

Rather, I have stilled my soul,
Like a weaned child to its mother,
weaned is my soul.

Israel, hope in the LORD,
now and forever.
-NABRE 


A Song of Ascents. Of David.

O LORD, my heart is not proud,
nor haughty my eyes.
I have not gone after things too great,
nor marvels beyond me.

Truly, I have set my soul
in tranquility and silence.
As a weaned child on its mother,
as a weaned child is my soul within me.

O Israel, wait for the LORD,
both now and forever.
-Revised Grail Psalms


NABRE Notes:
[Psalm 131] A song of trust, in which the psalmist gives up self-sufficiency (Ps 131:1), like a babe enjoying the comfort of its mother’s lap (Ps 131:2), thus providing a model for Israel’s faith (Ps 131:3).

4 comments:

rolf said...

The Grail Psalm is more poetic here and wins this round!

Dan Z said...

Grail gets the win in this round.

That brings my scorecard to:
NABRE-6
Grail-5
tie-1

Anonymous said...

I think Grail wins it, but it was a little closer this time.

John

Timothy said...

Dan,

With three more "Songs of Ascents" left, it will be interesting to see what your final score will be!