Monday, June 11, 2012

Mondays with the New Psalms: Psalm 130

Psalm 130 (De profundis)


A song of ascents.


Out of the depths I call to you, LORD;
Lord, hear my cry!
May your ears be attentive
to my cry for mercy.
If you, LORD, keep account of sins,
Lord, who can stand?
But with you is forgiveness
and so you are revered.

I wait for the LORD,
my soul waits
and I hope for his word.
My soul looks for the Lord
more than sentinels for daybreak.
More than sentinels for daybreak,
let Israel hope in the LORD,
For with the LORD is mercy,
with him is plenteous redemption,
And he will redeem Israel
from all its sins.
-NABRE


A Song of Ascents.

Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD;
Lord, hear my voice!
O let your ears be attentive
to the sound of my pleadings
If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities,
Lord, who could stand?
But with you is found forgiveness,
that you may be revered.

I long for you, O LORD,
my soul longs for his word.
My soul hopes in the Lord
more than watchmen for daybreak.
More than watchmen for daybreak,
let Israel hope for the LORD.
For with the LORD there is mercy,
in him is plentiful redemption.
It is he who will redeem Israel
from all its iniquities.
-Revised Grail Psalms


NABRE Notes:
[Psalm 130] This lament, a Penitential Psalm, is the De profundis used in liturgical prayers for the faithful departed. In deep sorrow the psalmist cries to God (Ps 130:12), asking for mercy (Ps 130:34). The psalmist’s trust (Ps 130:56) becomes a model for the people (Ps 130:78).

[130:1] The depths: Sheol here is a metaphor of total misery. Deep anguish makes the psalmist feel “like those descending to the pit” (Ps 143:7).

[130:4] And so you are revered: the experience of God’s mercy leads one to a greater sense of God.

8 comments:

Dan Z said...

This is a close one. I give the edge to NABRE.

The score thus far:

NABRE-6

Grail-4

1 tie

rolf said...

I do like both of these also but I will give the edge to the Grail Psalms. For me the clincher is the Grail Psalms use of 'O Lord' instead of the NABRE's 'Lord'.

rolf said...

Both of these renderings of Psalm 130 were very good, I decided to check to see how a Dynamic translation handles this psalm. So I went to my Kindle and checked my newly downloaded CEB (for free!) Here is the CEB Psalm 130:

A pilgrimage song.

I cry out to you from the depths,
LORD--
my LORD, listen to my voice!
Let your ears pay close attention
to my request for mercy!
If you keep track of sins, LORD--
my LORD, who would stand a
chance?
But forgiveness is with you--
that's why you are honored.

I hope, LORD.
My whole being hopes,
and I wait for God's promise.
My whole being waits for my LORD--
more than the night watch
waits for morning;
yes, more than the night watch waits for morning!
Israel wait for the LORD!
Because faithful love is with the LORD;
because great redemption
is with our God!
He is the one who will redeem Israel
from all its sin.

Not bad, a little more wordy than the other two, and because of that it doesn't flow quite as well.

losabio said...

The "who can stand a chance" and "that's why you are honored" from the CEB are a little modernized for my taste and sort of strike me like ad copy. That's just my gut reaction. Maybe I'm getting a little overly sensitive to things that sound like ads/slogans in this US election year.

For Ps 130 I like the NABRE rendering, but I do sort of mentally chant the Grail Psalms version when I read it. Sometimes, the chanted/sung version from the Grail Psalms comes out as much more lyrical and musical than the NABRE version, but for this round, it was just okay.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I have to go with the Grail version again. I usually chant the Office and the Grail renditions always sound more musical to me. Whereas the NABRE's Psalms usually sound more like prose, than lyrics.

Pax,
John

Chrysostom said...

The Grail wins this one, but not by as much as the NAB won Psalm 129.

The CEB is horrible, and that's not the worst part of the translation. The NAB is like the DRC or KJV when compared to the CEB - I have never seen a worse translation, except for maybe the "Nag Hammadi Scriptures" (yes, even the JW NWT is better, IMO).

Chrysostom said...

For scoring, I think my taste in Psalms has gone 9 Grail, 2 NAB. Albeit the NABRE rendition of Psalm 129 (on June 4, 2012) won by a greater stretch than the Grail ever beat the NAB.

Anonymous said...

I like it! More modern and helps me to understand the meaning of the psalm. Thank you and God bless you!