Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Bible for Sale: Rebound Douay-Confraternity

From a reader who is looking to sell a rebound Douay-Confraternity:

Hello All, I've got an old Confraternity/Douay-Rheims bible that I'm trying to find a good home for. It's a St. Joseph edition from 1963, containing the completely revised NT and Confraternity translations of the OT except for 1 Kings-Esther and 1 & 2 Machabees. I originally inherited the bible from Tim, and then in the throes of a rebinding obsession, had it recovered and rebound in goatskin leather in the historical "Circuit Rider," style from Leonard's Book restoration. 

I'm trying to sell it because quite frankly, it's too nice of a bible with too nice a recovering to just sit on a shelf. In my house it has to compete for attention with a rebound RSV2CE Didache and a rebound Knox. I was hoping someone here might be interested. 

In the interests of full disclosure, it does have some fading damage on the spine and middle of the side flap that I tried to highlight in some of the pictures. This comes from my use of it in a hosptial ministry where I was constantly dousing my hands with alcohol sanitizer while carrying it. There's also some spots on the bottom edges of the pages, possibly water spots? I'm not sure. The pages themselves though, are perfectly pristine and enjoy that old book smell though. 

If you're interested, contact me at my email: tadena (at) gmail (dot) com. I'd be hoping for around $170.00 to recoup some of the cost, buyer paying shipping. I am open to negotiating a bit on that though. 






3 comments:

Jonny said...

That is a beautiful Bible, the last edition of the "Confraternity" Bible before the NAB if I am not mistaken.

I have a similar edition with a translation of the Pius XII Psalter and full Douay OT. The St. Joseph edition is unique in that it includes beefed up cross references and annotations. Mine also has illustrations throughout. What extras does this edition have, and how big is it?

Would love to have this Bible, but finances right before Christmas won't permit. This would make a great gift for someone who wants a traditional Catholic Bible.

Unknown said...

I have the similar Confraternity edition as you do Johnny. The illustrations in mine are the Gustav Doré woodcuts. My daughter likes it a lot and it's waiting for funds to go visit Leonards for a spa weekend.

Ronny Tadena said...

Hi Jonny,

This is Ronny, the one trying to sell the bible. Its 8.5" x 6.25" x 1.75"
Extras would be things like a copy of Divino Afflante Spiritu, and a collection of indexes in the back (Doctrinal, Historical, Miracles of Christ, etc.) One really interesting thing it does have that I don't think I've ever seen before is what it calls a "visual tour of the holy land," A series of old black and white photos of the 1960's holy land at various important sites.

Its a pretty cool Bible, but as I said, its got some stiff competition in my household. I was really hoping it could go to someone who'd appreciate it. But I'm starting to suspect the price I'd be willing to let it go for is too high for most. Oh well, perhaps I'll have to find a new use for it around here.