Monday, November 24, 2014

Knox Contest

As we are about to enter the season of Advent, now is a good time as any to have a contest.  This one, which will likely be the last one for 2014, is focused around the great Cathoic convert, translator, detective novelist, and apologist Msgr. Ronald A. Knox.  I have made no secret on this blog my admiration for this man.  I find his writings to be both enriching and entertaining, which I think is a truly rare thing.  Although he may not receive the same attention as some of his other more famous contemporaries, I actually prefer his writings to those of Chesterton, Belloc, and Lewis.  (Please don't throw any stones!)

So, what will the winning entry receive in this Knox Contest?  The following brand new books and CD will prove a wonderful introduction to this great man:

1) The Wine of Certitude: A Literary Biography of Ronald Knox by David Rooney (Ignatius Press)

2) On Englishing the Bible by Ronald Knox (Baronius Press).  The winner will receive two brand new copies, one for themselves and another to give to a friend.  Thank you to the fine people at Baronius Press for providing this amazing book for this contest.  I "literally" read this all the time.

3) Ronald Knox Collection CD from Old Time Radio Catalogue.  This contains four presentations by Knox, himself, with a run time of one hour and eleven minutes.  Included in this collection are reflections by Knox on Christmas, Chesterton, Newman, and translating the Bible.  Hear the man in his own voice.


Rules for the contest:
 1) If you have a website or blog or are active on Facebook, please announce this contest. If you don't, that is OK. You can still enter the contest.

 2) Please enter your name in the comment section of this blog post. I (or my wife) will randomly draw one winner at the conclusion of the contest, which will be on Sunday November 30th at 11:59 PM.

3) I will announce the winner on Monday December 1st. The winners must contact me, via email, within a week with their full name and address.

 4) One entry per person.

 5) Contest is only available to those who live in North America.

13 comments:

rolf said...

I'm in - Rolf

RJS said...

RJS--you gotta have more than one entry!

Jonny said...

Jonny

citizen DAK said...

I announced this on fb. :)

Anonymous said...

Drashko Karadza

Please enter me in this contest

Chase M. Becker said...

I'm in! I've been spending more time with my original 1956 Sheen & Ward edition. I'd love to learn more about the man behind it all!

Dwight Spivey said...

Pick me! Pick me!

-Dwight

Steph Ko said...

I'm in!

- Steph K.

Anonymous said...

I would like to be included in the drawing. Thanks. janice

Anonymous said...

Joseph Volpe III

Anonymous said...

First name is kari. Very interested in Knox and his writings.

Thomas said...

Tommy O

Tommy said...

Another Tommy here-- let's go with "Thomas Patrick" for clarity