Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sad News

From America:

"Daniel J. Harrington, SJ, a Jesuit priest, professor of New Testament at Boston College (and the Weston Jesuit School of Theology), longtime editor of New Testament Abstracts, former columnist for "The Word," America's Scripture column, and one of the world's leading New Testament scholars, died yesterday at the Jesuit infirmary of the New England Province of the Society of Jesus, in Weston, Mass."

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.  May the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

6 comments:

Timothy said...

There is a beautiful quote from Fr. Harrington at the end of the article:

"The God of the Bible is the God of Jesus Christ. I experience God in and through the Bible and my life. It is my privilege as a Jesuit priest to study and teach Scripture, to proclaim and preach God's word, and to celebrate the church's liturgies (which are largely cast in the language of the Bible). In the midst of these wonderful activities (which are my greatest joy), I occasionally stutter. And this brings me back to where my spiritual journey with the Bible began. Though I am slow of speech and tongue like Moses, I still hear the words of Exodus 4:11-12: "Who gives speech to mortals? Who makes the mute or death, seeing or blind? Is it not I., the Lord? Now go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you are to speak."

rolf said...

May his soul rest in peace, and Lord I pray that you bring your servant home. Amen

Anonymous said...

Really sad news. DH has become my favourite scholar after I started noticing his writings were both useful and insightful to me.

Timothy said...

Yes indeed. I had been reading more of his writings lately as well, both scholarly and pastoral. Really appreciated his book on the Psalms: Why Do We Hope?

RussNY said...

I guess it's our loss and heaven's gain. There have been times in the past where I've emailed him about something bible-related and he always took the time to respond and shed light on what I was asking about. Thank you, Fr. Harrington.

Anonymous said...

May his soul rest in piece