Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sunday Knox for the Baptism of the Lord: Matthew 3:13-17

Knox:
Then Jesus came from Galilee and stood before John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John would have restrained him; It is I, he said, that ought to be baptized by thee, and dost thou come to me instead? But Jesus answered, Let it be so for the present; it is well that we should thus fulfil all due observance. Then John gave way to him. So Jesus was baptized, and as he came straight up out of the water, suddenly heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God coming down like a dove and resting upon him. And with that, a voice came from heaven, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.*

Knox Notes:
*vv. 1-17: Mk. 1.2; Lk. 3.1.


NAB:
Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. John tried to prevent him, saying,  “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?” Jesus said to him in reply, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed him. After Jesus was baptized, he came up from the water and behold, the heavens were opened for him,  and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming upon him. And a voice came from the heavens, saying,  “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

No comments: