Thursday, July 11, 2013

A New Series of Posts....That Involves You!

Over the past five years this blog has been dedicated to reviewing new Bible editions, study tools, and translations.  Most often, these reviews come from yours truly, with the occasional guest blog by one you, my beloved readers.  I really do enjoy providing the "guest posts" on this blog and hope to continue to do so in the future.

However, I would really like to expand this a bit, perhaps moving in a slightly different direction.  Once a month, I would like to publish a guest post from one of you giving a description of your personal Bible.  This would be the Bible you use most often, hopefully daily! I'll call this the "Your Bible" series.  What I am asking is that those who are interested to send me an email letting me know you are interested in doing this. Once you do that, I envision that each "Your Bible" post to contain 1-2 photos of your Bible, along with a short write up focusing on that Bible and how you use it. So what do you say?  I know that there are many of you out there who are daily devoted to reading the Scriptures.  I am sure that your witness will be appreciated by many who read this blog.

As I have mentioned in the past, one of the most beautiful sights, besides my beautiful family, is someone who is reading a well worn Bible.  So, if you are interested, please send me an email letting me know: mccorm45(at)yahoo(dot)com.   If you are new to this blog or have been around from the beginning, I would love to hear from you.  Like I said earlier, I'd really like to make this a regular, perhaps monthly, post here at the Catholic Bibles Blog.  So, don't be shy!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds neat, but I don't think I could participate. Right now, the Bible I'm using most is my Lighthouse Catholic Media Bible app on my phone (and neither my phone, nor I, are very photogenic).

Timothy said...

Eric,

Certainly no need to show one's face in the photo. You will notice that mine is rarely posted.....which is for my readers benefit! :)

citizen DAK said...

I daily use, and highly recommend, http://universalis.com/G/USA.Sunday/0/mass.htm
Actually, I use their android app, which provides the same readings offline (wherever I am, on phone or PC) plus a few extra options such as choice of NABRE or Jerusalem.
BLESSINGS!

Joni said...

I've learned a lot from your blog and I hope this series continues.

Javier said...

Timothy,

this is not related to your current blog entry, but I thought is was very interesting and felt it could be nice to share it. It is an article from 2011 (from Haaretz), that discusses the Samaritan Torah as compared to the Masoretic text:

Samaritan Torah

And this is the article's author bio:

Yair Hoffman

I hope you find it helpful.

Javier
Argentina

Timothy said...

Javier,

Fantastic link, thank you! If you would be interested in putting together a brief summary of this article, I'd be happy to make it a separate post.

Javier said...

Timothy,

I'm glad you liked it. I'll give the summary a try. Bear in mind I'm not a native english speaker (so the result might prove trying to your readers).

Javier

Timothy said...

No worries, I am sure it will be fine. Just email it to me when you are finished.

Unknown said...

BTW, I noticed on shopgoodwill.com that there is a Haydock Bible listed on there. Link is http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=13692661

Posted this with Tim's permission for anyone who might be in the market for one (I'm not).

Theophrastus said...

If you are interested in the Samaritan Pentateuch and do not read Hebrew, I can recommend this English language text and study that was published in April.

Theophrastus said...

I should also mention that Benjamin Tsedaka, a Samaritan and the leading expert on the Samaritan Pentateuch and the head of the A. B. Institute of Samaritan Studies for over 30 years (you can read his biograph here) does not recommend the Avraham Tal and Moshe Florentin volume that Yair Hoffman reviews in the article that Javier referenced.

Tsedaka writes:

In 2010, a third publication of the SP [Samaritan Pentateuch] and MT [Masoretic Text] was published by Avraham Tal and Moshe Florentin (Tel Aviv University Press). The author of this book [Tsedaka] does not recommend this publication for research since an atypical manuscript that was copied in Damascus was chose by the authors of this publication to represent the SP. It is not recommended for many other reasons including uncertain authorship of the text. It seems that this manuscript contains hundreds of variants identical to the MT. In the original manuscript, now located in the Mount Gerizim Synagogue, many pages were impossible to read. In addition, it was not clear how the manuscript was reconstructed. Lastly, it is an atypical text with regard to contemporary Samaritan manuscripts.

rolf said...

Timothy,
Just for info, the 'Truth and Life' audio NT app for my ipad just offered a free update which includes the complete text of the RSV-2CE and an optional upgrade for the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible notes, incl. completed OT books ($19.95). The nice thing about the RSV-2CE text is you can make single or double column text.
I already have the RSV-2CE and the Ignatius Study Bible-NT on my kindle and kindle app but it navigates so much quicker on the apple app than on the kindle app!
But the cool thing is you can use either the RSV-CE or the RSV-2CE text for the audio portion of the NT. So what I am doing is listening to the audio RSV-CE while following along with the RSV-2CE text and the difference between the two RSV versions becomes much easier and quicker to find. To do this in the past you needed to read both version one after the other and this would become tedious and tiring. Now someone else does the reading and I follow along and just jot them down.

citizen DAK said...

Rolf, would you mind specifying which "Truth and Life" app offers the ISB notes & -2CE text?

(I have two T&L apps on my android phone, named "EWTN" and "Lighthouse Catholic Media"... but today I see two more in the play-store from FutureSoft.)

rolf said...

citizen DAK,
Mine is is from the apple app store. It is the 'Truth & Life Dramatized Audio Bible' by FutureSoft, Inc. With the full audio(NT) and text of the RSV-CE. Under the description, there is a 'What's New' section that says the app now also includes the complete text of the RSV-2CE translation. The cost through apple is $19.99
There is also an in app option to buy the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible - NT notes(incl. completed OT
books) which costs another $19.99