Tuesday, September 14, 2010

From Better Bibles Blog

I read this post on the Better Bibles Blog and thought it might be interesting to adapt this to a Catholic setting:

If you walk into a bookstore you will often see many different English Bible versions available for purchase. Often bookstore personnel are asked, “Which version should I purchase for _____?” In the blank would be a name of a category of Bible reader. What are some different categories (audiences) you can think of who read Bibles?

How would this be answered if you were buying for a Catholic friend of yours? Remember, while you may like something more literal or classic in style, like the Douay-Rheims, this may not be the best option for your friend.

4 comments:

Francesco said...

A Christmas or two ago I bought the "Catholic Women's Devotional Bible" for my sister. Obviously I wouldn't have much use for it myself!

Personally I haven't had too much experience with translations other than the CCB to start recommending one or the other.

Paolo said...

For my friend who runs a bible blog, I would get him a Gutenberg Bible 1st Edition.

Anonymous said...

"Which version should I purchase for a mathematician? (i.e. My Husband). I ordered the NOAB 4th edition for myself and received it from Amazon.. I spent a couple of hours looking at it and the more I did the more I became convinced it was meant for my husband. Had not been able to find a 40th anniversary present that I thought he would really like. I just gave it to him a few days ago and he loves it. Now need to start hinting for Christmas. Thanks for the advice Tim. Sharon in Waxahachie, Texas

Matt said...

To be honest, if I was going to buy a Bible for someone else, I would purchase them the Douay-Rheims over a modern translation. The reason being is that the Douay Rheims is trustworthy not only in its text but in its extras. (doctrinally) I wouldn't want to be scandalize someone with unCatholic footnotes.

There are some others I would consider too, 2RSVCE, RSVCE...