Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Crawley Bible

A very helpful note from reader Dan, who spotted this edition on eBay.  Thank you!

Dear Timothy,

Sorry to bother you but I hope you can help with this....I remember reading a few months ago that a user named "Daniel Cantelmo" was looking for a rare Crawley Bible. This is his post from June 10,  2015:

"Thank you, Timothy. I am looking for a 1953 Catholic Family Edition of the Bible, Imprintur: August 15, 1953 - with one caveat. Included in the edition I am looking for is the Sapential Books, which the copyright page states was printed on June 8, 1956. I don't know if the red Bible in this blog is one of those. They key is that "Sirach" starts on page 789. There are many versions of the 1953 August 15 bible on Amazon and Ebay, and have bought several, but doesn't have the 1956 copyright also. On the copyright page up at the top, you can see "copyright 1953, 1956" in stead of just "copyright 1953." 

My grandmother gave me a copy of the 1953, 1956 version 25 years ago. However, after many hours of reading, the binding has broken and the pages have ripped. Does anyone know where I can find this? Or what is it even called if I were to look for one online? There are so many 1953 Catholic Family editions, but none specify that is has the 1956 Sapential books. I would appreciate any help, and could scan and upload the copyright page so anyone could see what I'm talking about. It would mean the world to me! Kind regards, Dan"


I think I found this exact on one eBay today but I was wondering if you have any way of contacting this user so that he can maybe purchase it if is the exact one he is looking for.  This one matches everything he specified:

1. Crawley Family Edition Bible
2. 1953, 1956 copyrights
3. Sapiential Books are in the Confraternity Edition
4. Imprimatur of the Sapiential Books: June 8, 1956
5. Sirach starts on page 789

The only thing I am not sure about is if the binding is the same. This one is brownish leather, not red like some of the other Crawley Bibles.

Here is the link to the Ebay auction which was listed on Tuesday November 3, 2015:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATHOLIC-HOLY-BIBLE-Family-Edition-1956-Vintage-Illustrated-John-Crawley-/351546650697?hash=item51d9d03049:g:THgAAOSwwbdWGrCX

The Title is: "CATHOLIC HOLY BIBLE Family Edition 1956 Vintage Illustrated John Crawley

The sellers name is: "treasure-n-pleasures"

Again, if you have any way of contacting this person to let him know, I think he would be very happy (if he hasn't found it since June). 

5 comments:

Kent G. Hare said...

That is a attractive Bible.

Anonymous said...

It is taking all of my Christian charity to keep me from buying that book out from underneath Daniel Cantelmo so he better hurry up! :)

vladimir998

Anonymous said...


Boy, that's a beauty!

Pax,
John

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! I just saw these comments and wanted you to know that I DID finally find it! I emailed a couple of Seminary's who happened to know exactly what version it was and purchased it for 20 bucks. I appreciate you waiting for me to find it, but please go ahead and purchase it if it is still available. This may be the most "truthful" translation ever. Have a great Easter and God Bless!

Kind Regards - Daniel Cantelmo

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! I just saw these comments and wanted you to know that I DID finally find it! I emailed a couple of Seminary's who happened to know exactly what version it was and purchased it for 20 bucks. I appreciate you waiting for me to find it, but please go ahead and purchase it if it is still available. This may be the most "truthful" translation ever. Have a great Easter and God Bless!

Kind Regards - Daniel Cantelmo