Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sunday Knox: Malachi 3:19-20 (4:1-2)

Knox:
Trust me, a day is coming that shall scorch like a furnace; stubble they shall be before it, says the Lord of hosts, all the proud, all the wrong-doers, caught and set alight, and neither root nor branch left them. But to you that honour my name there shall be a sunrise of restoration, swift-winged, bearing redress.*

*Literally, ‘But to you that fear my name a sun of justice shall rise, and healing in her wings.’


NAB:
Lo, the day is coming, blazing like an oven, when all the proud and all evildoers will be stubble, and the day that is coming will set them on fire, leaving them neither root nor branch, says the LORD of hosts. But for you who fear my name, there will arise the sun of justice with its healing rays.


NABRE:

For the day is coming, blazing like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble, And the day that is coming will set them on fire, leaving them neither root nor branch, says the LORD of hosts. But for you who fear my name, the sun of justice will arise with healing in its wings.

2 comments:

Biblical Catholic said...

'Trust me'? I generally like the Knox Bible, but he does have a tendency towards the banal.

Timothy said...

BC,

After spending much of the last year reading Knox, I think the prophets are his weakest section. This, ultimately, along with the use of archaic English, will hinder it from ever being a translation which we would call 'timeless English' as we proceed through the 21st century.

With that being said, I love his renderings in the Gospels and particularly the letters of Paul. Of course, many acknowledge his brilliance in translating Paul.