Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Children's Bible Offerings from Saint Benedict Press

I wanted to introduce you to two wonderful Bibles for children that are published by Saint Benedict Press.  They are the New Catholic Illustrated Bible and the My First Communion Bible.  Here is a little bit about both before I give some of my own comments from using them (with my daughter).

New Catholic Illustrated Bible:
Everyone should be familiar with the great heroes and stories of the Bible. From the beginning of Creation to the Last Judgement, from Noah and the Flood to the Exodus from Egypt, from the Annunciation of the Lord to His glorious Ressurection, The New Catholic Illustrated Bible tells the story of salvation in a way that will engage and inspire readers of every age. With over 100 beautiful full-color illustrations, and a faithful re-telling of Scripture by acclaimed author Amy Welborn, here is a Bible story book that you and your loved ones will turn to often, now and for years to come. Open its pages and discover why The New Catholic Illustrated Bible is a treasure that belongs in every Catholic home. Easy-to-read lay-flat binding and gold-foil details.


My First Communion Bible:
This beautiful Bible Story book is specially designed to mark a child's First Holy Communion. Special features include a Communion Record page and a beautiful two page letter from beloved priest Father Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R. Father Groeschel writes to children on the great gift of meeting Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, shares his memory of his own First Communion, and encourages children to love Jesus forever and receive Him often.


    Features include: 
  • Padded Hardcover
  • Gold foil stamped cover
  • Gilded page edges
  • Presentation and First Communion Record Page
  • Engaging full-color illustrations
  • Foreword by Father Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R. 

    Following Father's letter, 26 Bible stories from the New Testament will help children come to know and love Jesus even more. Each story is beautifully illustrated in a manner that will inspire young readers and bring the Bible stories to life.


I have spent most of my time with the New Catholic Illustrated Bible since it is something that I can read to my daughter (and my son).  Amy Welborn does a great job condensing the Biblical stories into bite-sized chunks, perfectly suited for bedtime reading.  The illustrations are fantastic as well.   If any of you remember some of those old illustrations that always seem to come with any children's related Bible or prayer book from Catholic Book Publishing, which often seem hopelessly dated, I can assure you that these are so much better.  Just take a look at the image on the right of the fiery furnace scene in Daniel.  So, I highly recommend this illustrated Bible, which comes at an amazingly cheap price of $16.22 as of today.

The My First Communion Bible I see more as a keepsake.  It too is beautifully illustrated, with gold gilded edges.  It would make a great gift for any child's first communion.

Thank you to Saint Benedict Press for these review copies.

3 comments:

Stuart said...

I do love the New Catholic Illustrated Bible! The illustrations are great and the fact that it lays flat is great for someone who hates book binding like me! :)

Timothy said...

It's really an amazing illustrated Bible, and you can't beat the price.

Anonymous said...

Timothy--not to detract from the children's bible but I wanted to inform you that while checking out new book titles coming up I noticed that Our Sunday Visitor will be publishing a Catholic Men's Bible using the NABRE and compiled by FR. Larry Richards. Release is set for January 2014. This I believe will be the first Catholic bible for men. After reading comments from your blog dating back to 2010 regarding the lack of Catholic men's bible I sent off email to several publishers asking them to consider such a volume. Only two responded in a non committal way---Bert Ghezzi not only an author but editor at OSV last year responded by saying they did not have any plans but would certainly entertain the idea. Looks like they opted to give the Catholic Men a shot at their own bible.

By the way I have been enjoying your blog for a couple of years and have learned much. Because of your comments on the CTS New Catholic Bible I purchased two copies one in hard cover the other a recently released flex cover. I use this for my daily bible reading--thanks for the blog--

Lenny