Monday, March 7, 2011

Guest Post: Theophrastus

Thank you to Theophrastus for the following information:

Amazon often has major sales on Catholic Bibles. A few months ago, I
pointed out that the excellent Oxford Catholic Comparative New
Testament
was on sale for under $10.

Well, here is another fantastic bargain: Amazon is selling the New
Jerusalem Bible in the Standard Edition for $10 (list price $25) and the Full Edition for $20 (list price $50).

There is controversy over the NJB -- some people object to its use of
the English spelling of the tetragrammaton (now discouraged by the
Vatican) and it does have moderately inclusive language in parts.
Nonetheless, the NJB is a major translation and the extensive study
helps in the Full Edition will be useful to a broad variety of
Catholics. Personally, I ordered 2 copies of the Standard
Edition
and 4 copies of the Full Edition.-- paying just
$100 for $250 worth of Bibles.

I notice that Amazon currently states that there are only 12 more
copies of the Full Edition in stock, so if this is something
you think you may be interested in, you may want to place an order
soon. (However, I've found that Amazon is sometimes able to get
additional bargain book stock in place.)

2011 seems to be the year of Catholic Bibles (the new NABRE edition is
coming out Wednesday, Harvard University Press is releasing a
scholarly new edition of the Douay-Rheims, a number of 400th
anniversary editions of the KJV featuring the Catholic
Deuterocanonical are coming out, the Common English Bible which
included Catholic participation is coming out, and the Ignatius
Catholic Study Bible New Testament is still warm off the press). But
I doubt you'll see a better Bible bargain than this soon.

7 comments:

Christopher W. Speaks said...

I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about the KJVs with Deuterocanonicals which are to be released. I do love the language of the KJV.

Timothy said...

Colleague,

Check out what Cambridge press is releasing, in regards to the KJV w/ Apocrypha.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a few NJBs.
BC

Theophrastus said...

I noticed that the standard edition of the NJB is now (temporarily?) sold out at the bargain price. I hope they get some more bargain copies soon.

And the full edition is now down to 9 copies.

Theophrastus said...

Colleague -- Cambridge is issuing two sets of KJV w/Deuterocanonicals -- the Cameo edition and the (revised) New Cambridge Paragraph edition.

The Cameo edition already came out, but was recalled because of a print-run error - a portion of the 15th chapter of 2 Maccabees is missing. I simply tipped in the text. You can find the volumes here and here. This edition include references, maps, and a concordance.

However, the volume I recommend is the New Cambridge Paragraph Bible. This originally came out in 2006, but has since been further revised. You can find it here or here or here or here.

However, if you don't want to spend so much money, I recommend that you simply by the Penguin version of the New Cambridge Paragraph Bible. This is merely a paperback version, and it lacks the original translator notes, but it is beautifully typeset, elegantly laid-out, has virtually no bleed through, is highly readable, and perhaps most important of all, costs less than $11.

Anonymous said...

I just got the one I ordered - It did not appear to be totally new - no shrink wrap, dust jacket beat up, and a red dot on the bottom of it. Now, still good for $20 but just wondering of anyone else had this issue.

Theophrastus said...

Anonymous: Sorry for not replying earlier, I just saw your note.

The copies I received were totally new, but they were remaindered (with a red dot on the bottom of the textblock). I'm not aware that the NJB was ever sold in plastic wrap (I've never seen it that way), but my dust jackets were new. If you are not totally satisfied, you should consider sending it back to Amazon for replacement or refund. (Amazon will, I believe, pay the shipping costs for you to send it back.)