Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Your Thoughts

Every once in a while I like to devote a post on this blog to hear back from you.  I am always appreciative of the comments and emails that I receive from you.  The vast majority of them have been positive, which helps to sustain my  desire to keep this blog going for the foreseeable future.  

As I am sure many of you have noticed, blogging has been a bit light as of late.  This has been due to primarily two reasons: 1)  Life has been busy due to the most recent death of my father, responsibilities at home, and a crazy work schedule; 2) There hasn't been too much to report over the past few weeks in regards to Catholic Bibles.  I think we are in this sort of "dead zone" concerning Catholic Bible information and editions.  I have been looking around various booksellers and publishers and I just don't see to many new Catholic Bibles scheduled for release in the coming months.  To be sure, there are prospects of things to come, like news on the eventual revision of the NABRE, a possible ESV-CE, the completion of the ICSB, a possible premium leather edition of a Catholic Bible, new editions of the CCSS, and a brand new version of the Catholic Bibles Blog Theme Song.  So I am sure things will pick up in the coming months.  

So, I would like to hear from you.  What do you like about this blog?  What features would you like to see  in the future?  I should also mention that I am looking for someone who would like to be a semi-regular contributor.  This person would need to be able to commit to at least two articles a month.  If you are interested, send me an email.

Lastly, thank you for your readership.  As I have mentioned on this blog before, the Catholic Bibles Blog was started due to my own frustration with the lack of information about Catholic Bible editions on the Internet.  At the very least, I think this blog has provided a forum for people to discover what is out there and to perhaps dream about what we would like to see published in the future.  

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with all of you! 

17 comments:

mike7up said...

What about the news that the CEB Catholic edition is available as an ebook but has not yet been published as a bound book. Does this edition have the imprimatur???

Thadeus said...

Tim,

I think this blog is great! And lulls in posting will come with the age of the blog. I haven't done enough exploring, but I bet there are really good old posts that could be brought to our (current readers') attention by re-posting/linking of some kind.

Discussion of Bible Study methods and tools is also appreciated. I like your posts on different versions and editions and binding of Catholic Bibles.

Please keep up the great work! It is great to have such a valuable resource available on the web specifically relating to Catholic Bibles.

Thank you!

Thadeus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...


Well, this was news to me:

Australia: New Community Bible International Edition Launched
Written by ST PAULS Australia   


Archbishop of Brisbane and Chairman of the Australian Catholic Bishops Commission on the Liturgy, Mark Coleridge, formally launched the international edition of The New Community Bible (NCB) in Sydney on the feast day of Blessed James Alberione, the founder of the Pauline Family ...

The NCB published by St Pauls Publications is a revised edition of the popular Christian Community Bible translated by Late Bernardo Hurault, a French Priest, from original languages to Spanish in 1971. Since then it has been translated into many languages and millions of copies have been distributed with its unique feature of a pastoral commentary that accompanied the text which has helped the faithful to understand, assimilate and live the word of God in their day to day life.

The Preface and the Presentation of the NCB states that it is the fruit of a challenging project undertaken by the Society of St Paul who brought together a competent team of Bible scholars who worked hard over a decade and undertook the responsible task of “completely re-writing the introduction and the commentary of each book of the Bible based on sound exegesis and relevant pastoral application” and has done a ‘careful revision of the text’ wherever it was required. Another unique feature of the NCB mentioned is “its many references to the deep spiritual message and biblical values found in the scriptures of other great world religions”.

http://www.paulus.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2639:australia-new-community-bible-international-edition-launched&catid=106&Itemid=445&lang=en

Here's a short review:

http://otagosh.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-new-community-bible-review.html?m=1

Anyway Timothy, thank you for all the time and effort you put into Catholic Bibles. I stop here every day and have enjoyed reading it for quite awhile.

Pax,
John



Timothy said...

John,

Strange. Isn't bishop Coleridge the one who is working on the ESV?

Theophrastus said...

I noticed the following edition the other day on Amazon: The Father's of the Church Bible (NABRE).

Apparently, it is a NABRE with 88 color inserts, with each insert "featu[ing] the wisdom of one or more of the Church fathers including St. Augustine, St. Justin Martyr, St. John Chrysostom, St. Cyprian, Irenaeus, Tertullian, St. Gregory the Great, St. Ambrose, and more."

Timothy said...

Theophrastus,

I was aware that it was in production, I think Mike Aquilina is heading up the production of this. Inserts though? :(

losabio said...

Hi Tim,

I have been visiting the Catholic Bibles blog for a couple of years now, and visit on a daily basis. I enjoy seeing some of the different facets of our Catholic faith, from prayers/devotionals, to discussion of textual criticism, to ranking different versions of Gospel readings, etc. All the different voices of contributors and the wide range of news postings also serve to make me feel like I'm truly part of a vast universal Church.

My only suggestion/wishlist item would be a widget listing the most recently updated posts. Sometimes, it can be easy to miss an ongoing conversation as it scrolls down the front page. A "recent posts" sort of widget might make it easier to keep discussions going/get questions answered.

God bless you for starting and maintaining this blog. Please keep it alive!

Timothy said...

Mike,

I do not believe the CEB have a proper Imprimatur to print that in an Catholic Edition. Although I have been told that they are pursuing it.

Timothy said...

losabio,

Your wish is my command.

losabio said...

Hey, cool! A recent posts widget! ------------>

Thank you Tim!

Stephen said...

I thoroughly enjoy this blog. I came across it when I was re-committing myself to my faith. I love the feedback, I love the fact that I am learning more about my faith here than I recall from my years growing up going to Catholic School.
I thank you for your efforts.

Stephen said...

I thoroughly enjoy this blog. I came across this as I was re-committing myself to my Faith. I love the articles, interviews and feedback from all. Thank you for your efforts.

Timothy said...

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by this site!

Anonymous said...

Tim, I heard about your father's passing. Please accept my belated condolences.

I came across this today and found it very interesting. What say you?http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2013/02/a-bible-that-keeps-us-apart

Timothy said...

Michael,

Thank you for the condolences. I appreciate it.

As for the article, which I will post about in the coming days, I think it is the same old NAB bashing stuff that is common on First Things. I don't take too much of what she wrote all that seriously. I will explain why in a few days.

Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

Tim,
I like the Recent Comments Widget.