Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Few Updates

So, this past week has been quite busy, with school starting up at the high school. I apologize for not getting my Top 5 posted yet, but I hope those entries will come in the next week or so. To be honest, I am still working through the top 2. It is very close. Most of you can guess which are my top 2, so stay tuned to see where they rank.

On another note, both of the announced winners for the NABRE contest have failed to contact me, so I am going to open this up to all of those who had originally entered the contest. So, the first person to email me will win the NABRE prize pack. Again, this is only for those who had previously entered the contest.

Update: Michael P is the winner....thanks to all who entered.

Finally, I saw this episode of The Choices We Face recently, which dealt with understanding the Bible. I figured I would post it here, for those who may be interested in watching.

Biblical Study & Understanding - Dr. Mary Healy from Renewal Ministries on Vimeo.





8 comments:

Leonardo said...

Hi,

Dr. Mary Healy talks about an authentic catholic way of reading the scriptures at 6'42''. At 6'59'' she mentions something like: We read the bible within a whole cloud of witnesses.

I am not sure of the word "cloud", which she mentions again moments later.

Did I get it right?

Leonardo said...

Hi,

After some considerations, I believe that the word is crowd, which agrees with the whole context of the idea.

Chrysostom said...

Congratulations again to the even newer winner of the contest. Third time's a charm, to my eternal detriment.

Everything in nature reflects the Most Holy Trinity, from matter, energy, and space, to up/down, left/right, forward/back, and even giveaways!

Anonymous said...

It is a reference from the Letter to the Hebrews...Chapter 12:1
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us..."

Leonardo said...

Hi,

thanks.

In Spanish the same text reads as "nube de testigos", cloud of witnesses.

But what surprises me is the idea of cloud which is something that filters the light.

Leonardo said...

Hi,

Sorry if I am just comment to myself, but I was thinking that maybe the use of the word cloud is because they are in the sky, and the light shines through them.

Chrysostom said...

Or maybe an allusion to the pillar of smoke and fire?

I know that's stretching it, even typologically-speaking.

Leonardo said...

Hi,

thanks again to Anonymous for the mention of the exact passage of the Bible and to Chrysostom for his comments about to find the meaning of something based on ideas related to the circumstances of those days.